Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review - Falling to Heaven by James L. Ferrell

\

James L. Ferrell has done it again!  If you thought his The Peacegiver or The Holy Secret were good then you'll love this one.  Once again, Ferrell's intuitive, out of the box, doctrinally sound thinking has stirred my heart and opened my eyes.

This time Ferrell addresses the preponderance of paradox in the gospel.  As we commonly, here in the West, have trouble with paradox, we too often ignore it and it's implications.  We'd rather sweep it under the rug than bend our minds around important, but confusing principles.  Brother Ferrell has a knack for making things make sense and paradox is no exception.  

Be prepared to see a lot of things in a different light.  Here are a few favorite quotes to wet your appetite and give a few hints into the priceless gem that is this book:
But make no mistake, when I as the harmed party respond to this request by giving up my resentment and my grudge, what I am doing is repenting - repenting of my failing to love.  Forgiveness is simply a word we use to describe this kind of repentance.
Being guilty before the Lord did not keep me from his love.  On the contrary, it was the guilt that he helped me to see that invited me to him.
To any who might wonder how the Spirit could attend those who are in the throes of sin, I would say, we all are in the throes of sin.  The question for us, and the issue upon which the presence of the Spirit depends, is whether we are in the throes of repentance.  I love all the humble, broken, contrite, confessing souls who have taught me that truth.  Their honest contrition and heartfelt repentance have been invitations for me to walk in the direction they are resolutely traveling - toward the Lord...
I read this book before April Conference.  In the book Ferrell pointed out that we ought not to be in the business of forgiving ourselves.  Then in Conference, President Uchtdorf encouraged us to forgive ourselves.  I've intended to go back and review, what seemed to be conflicting advice.  I'm glad I reviewed the book and finally got that done.  I think I can reconcile the difference when I see forgiveness as repentance, and thus it is again, the Lord, who is the forgiver.

There is of course much more, but you'll just have to read it, won't you.  Unlike The Peacegiver, Falling to Heaven is not written in story form.  There are stories, but cited as individual examples.  While the style is different, the content is every bit as rich, enlightening and encouraging.  The Gospel is true and Ferrell helps its paradox make perfect sense.  I am so grateful I read this book!

*****







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...